Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

My son possibly scrapped a parked car in McDonald's he

Customer Question

My son possibly scrapped a parked car in McDonald's he stopped with his window down waiting for the driver who arrived shouted at him for not stopping and took a picture of his number plate before walking off but not getting into his car. My son waited a while longer for him to return when he didn't he took a picture of number plate and left. My son did nothing more but has now received a police letter saying failure to stop and careless driving. What should he do next.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Ok. That is rather unfortunately. I’m afraid that he is guilty. There is no way around it. There was an incident and he didn’t report it. I realise that there may not have been anybody at scene to exchange details with but the law requires you to report to a police station within 24 hours. He did not. It is too late to do it now. If the police have summonsed him in then he will have to go. If he does not they will just summons him to court or possibly arrest him which they could do for failing to stop and report. If he offers a plea to careless driving they may drop the failing to stop and report. Sometimes these things do turn into insurance matters only. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo