Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

There. I would like to add my wife to our property deed.

Customer Question

Hi there. I would like to add my wife to our property deed. It's our main property and I would like to give her security. However, I have read that this could lead to having to put her onto the mortgage and this could result in a stamp duty charge. Is this true? W
ould it be better to have a will that leaves the property to her thus giving her the security of knowing she will inherit the property outright
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I would like to understand if there is inheritance tax if I leave the property to my wife in a will or is it exempt as it's her home too
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  INC replied 5 months ago.
Hi,If you have a mortgage on the property it is correct that you will need to obtain the lenders consent. Any transfer will be subject to a SALT liability.If you have not made a Will it would be worth you doing one. You will be able to bequeath the property to the property to your wife subject to any inheritance tax payable. I would suggest seeing a local solicitor to have your will drafted.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, pleaseven do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Much appreciated
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm trying to rate you with an excellent but Internet Explorer and Chrome are not playing ball. Neither will let me select a start rating!! Apologies
Expert:  INC replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.