Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

Should an estate pay the solicitors costs of a beneficiary

Customer Question

Should an estate pay the solicitors costs of a beneficiary attempting to claim the whole of a residuary estate instead of the 50% the beneficiary was left in the will?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youThe legal costs incurred by Executors in defending such a claim are proper expenses of the estate Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The costs I am asking about are the costs incurred in considering such a claim against the estate. The residuary beneficiary allocated 50% of the estate tried to bring a claim against the estate to get 100% of the estate. She is now claiming that her solicitors' and counsels' costs in bringing this claim should be paid by the estate. The costs incurred in defending the estate have been paid by the estate.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No her costs are NOT payable by the Estate -they are her responsibility alone!Please ask if you need further details