How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 10459
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had am online editing company edit my dissertation. I had

Customer Question

I had am online editing company edit my dissertation. I had the work edited from 15th April to 24th April, the company asked for a extra day to ensure quality. On the 25th I received the proposed edited work. After checking the work to the original I has sent no changes had been made. After contacting the company and information them on this they said a revised version would arrive on 25th at 11:30pm. They did not sent revised version till 2:00am 26th. As they failed to provide the service I has paid for , I requested a refund. The company then said the editor is threatening to publish my work that I edited (they had requested this to compared the differences). Just wanted to know if I can take legal action is the editor publishes my work?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Your work is protected by copyright. So, if the editor publishes your work without your permission, then you can sue for breach of copyright. There is no right given to the online editing company to publish your work if there is a dispute over payment. This is totally out of order and I am quite surprised they have suggested it, as it reflects poorly on them. So, you should stand your ground here and point out to them that any unlawful publication by them of your work will be met with proceedings for breach of copyright. Be aware that you can go to court and get an injunction to prevent them publishing your work, should this be likely. So you are on firm ground legally.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Related UK Law Questions