Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Is it Law that the treasurer of a private members club is responsible

Customer Question

Is it Law that the treasurer of a private members club is responsible for setting prices?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what you have been told or who by but in short, the answer is “no”. It may be that in the constitution of the club that job is tasked to the Treasurer but there is no legal reason why it should be tasked to the Treasurer.For example, I am the national chairman of the motorcycle club with about 1000 members. Our membership fee is suggested by the committee and then voted by the members at the AGM.The sale of T-shirts and regalia price is set by the Regalia Officer.The fee and expenses for inspecting machines for registration and DVLA purposes is set by the club’s Classics Officer.The Treasurer looks after the money but other than being a member and member of the committee, has no input into the level of fees. Guidance, yes, but the ultimate decision is as I mentioned earlier.However depending what’s in the constitution, that may or may not come down to one individual which may be the Treasurer but does not have to be.If someone is telling you that the Treasurer has to set these prices, by way of contradicting that showing that they are wrong in their assertions, then why not show them this answer?Does that answer your question today?Can I answer any specific points arising from this? Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit for my time here today and get paid. The thread does not close after rating even though you may think it does. It remains open and we can still exchange emails that anything needs clarification.Unless you rate my answer service positively, (even though it was not the answer you may have wanted) I don’t get paid at all.Thank you.Kind regards
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.