Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Renting in england, can anybody explain me, about renting

Customer Question

renting in england,
can anybody explain me, about renting in england, if a person is subleting me a room, and she doesnt have permission to sublet from the head landlord, what happens in this situation?is it obligatory the person subletting me give me a copy of her agreement with the head landlord? thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
Can you explain the situation in detail and also what you want to k now about this please? Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks stuart, there is two clear questions, what happen if a person who is renting from a headlandlord, rent me a room in her house and she dont have written permission she can rent rooms, the head landlord dont give permission to the tenant to rent rooms to another person in the house. then what happen here if the headlandlord, the owner, knows the tenant who rented the full house is renting to me a room? must I leave the house? can I follow living in the house, if my agreement with the person who rented me say i have 1 month notice to go, this notice will be respected? can I sue the person who rented me because she doesnt have permission to rent rooms? I want know what happen in this situationand is it obligatory that the person who is renting me, show me and give me a copy of the agreement with the headlandlord? must she show and give me copy of passport either'? I am asking for all this and the person refuse to give me all this, the person who is renting me a room and she is renting the full house from a headlandlord, then I suspect she doesnt have permission to rent from the headlandlord. I want know possible consecuecies.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.The person you rent from does not have to give you a copy of the tenancy agreement or passport. However, if you want them, they will not give them, you are of course entitled to give notice to leave the property if you do not have a Assured Short hold Tenancy and you simply rent a room in the property share facilities with the landlord.If you don’t share any facilities and the landlord that you rent from lives in the property with you, they want you out, they’re going to have to get a court order.If however you have your own room but still share some facilities with the landlord that you rent from, they can just give you reasonable notice to quit if you don’t go, simply lock you out and give you your belongings back.If you pay rent weekly, notice will be one week or monthly, one month.Can I answer any specific points arising from this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
then the person who is renting from a headlandlond and renting me, is subletting or am I a lodger? then if they dont show Identification how can I know the agreement we have done is legal? how can I know it is legal? and she want I pay in cash and she give a receive, how can I know the signature in the paper she gave me as proof I pay the rent is legal if she dont show identification.what happen if they are renting me and for instance they are squaters, or they are in eviction¿ I read , that they must say who is the owner of the property. it is weird they have not to show the kind of agreement they have with the owner.we sign a document that say I pay weekly and 2 weeks deposit, and notice one month, then because I pay weekly it is notice one week or 1 month?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
dont answer me if i am subtenant or lodger, I read about that, is complicated to know say citizen advice bureau
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
You are a lodger if your landlord that you pay rent to loosen the property you share some facilities. You are a tenant subletting the property if the landlord does not live in the property and you do not share any facilities with the landlord.Regardless, if you ask for a rent book, you are entitled to have one.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
then if they dont show Identification how can I know the agreement we have done is legal? how can I know it is legal? and she want I pay in cash and she give a receive, how can I know the signature in the paper she gave me as proof I pay the rent is legal if she dont show identification.what happen if they are renting me and for instance they are squaters, or they are in eviction¿ I read , that they must say who is the owner of the property. it is weird they have not to show the kind of agreement they have with the owner.we sign a document that say I pay weekly and 2 weeks deposit, and notice one month, then because I pay weekly it is notice one week or 1 month?citizen advice bureau say different, they say I can be subletting if the landlord live in the house, and he rent me a room, but he is not the owner, if not he is a mean tenant renting from a head landlord, now the most important is the question related they have not obligation to show his tenancy with the man landlord, and identification, and give me a copy.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
It is not unreasonable for the landlord to show you that they have the authority to rent the property or that they own it. However, regardless of whether they are obliged to do it or not, if they won’t do it, you cannot beat them with a stick until they do therefore in that case, you have to take them to court.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks stuart, the problem I have been investigated, the property belong to a big company js estates, they have many properties in london, and around 30 flats in this street, the full street, I have called them, they dont have permission to rent, nobody have permission TO SUBLET, imagine they are not renting from the headlandlord, somebody allow them to stay there, then I need know about documentation. you say I have to bring them to court if they dont show identification and proofs they are renting to landlord,2. they want I sign a new agreement, but somebody sent me emails, saying she is the wife,even I dont know if they are married, even I dont know their name, she send by email, in case that email belong to her, saying I have to pay in a bank account, again and again, I am asking to send by email, with her handwritten, the bank details, but I got only emails, no pictures of her handwritten, even I dont know her name, or the name of him, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE THE LAW SAY I HAVE TO PAY THEM, WHO ARE THEM? WHAT IF THEY ARE NOT REALLY RENTING THIS FLAT? WHAT IF I PAY TO HIM IN CASH WITH A RECEIPT BUT HE IS NOT THE HUSBAND, SHE NEVER GAVE ME A HANDWRITTEN DOCUMENT TO PAY TO HIM? all that can´t be legal in this way, I think the law should protect me if I dont payI signed with the wife, if she is the wife, a document, saying, I will pay weekly, 1 month notice, bill included, she signed it, and handwritted it, but i dont know if that is her real name, .please there is one month notice written by her, IF I DONT PAY, CAN THE MAN WHO LIVE IN THE HOUSE PUT MY THINGS OUT OF THE HOUSE BEFORE A MONTH? even she never told me to pay him, just by email, it could be the email is written by this man, how can I know it is her husband, and I paid him, he gave me a printed document with a signature, how do I know that name in printed document is his real name, or that she authorized him to receive the money, just i have emails that I dont know if she is really the one behind the emails.PLEASE THIS QUESTION NOW IS, IF I DONT PAY, I HAVE BY HANDWRITTEN ONE MONTH NOTICE, CAN HE, PUT MY THINGS OUT OF THE HOUSE BEFORE ONE MONTH? I HAVE NOTHING WRITTEN WITH HIM
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
I am going to opt out of this for another expert. Regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
why do you opt out? WHEN YOU OPT OUT NOBODY ANSWER, I NEED ANSWERS, BUT WHY OPT OUT, I AM ASKING REASONABLE QUESTIONSjust I am asking I need proofs from them to pay them, I have spoken with police, and the police say, if he demand money to phone them again, 999, may you say me WITH ACCURACY, if I have that notice is a month, and I dont pay, if they can evict me before? the situation is I dont have any identification from them could be a scam, a fraud, and or more things
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Chapter 70 Section 1 1 Disclosure of landlord’s identity,1)If the tenant of premises occupied as a dwelling makes a written request for the landlord’s name and address to— (a)any person who demands, or the last person who received, rent payable under the tenancy, or (b)any other person for the time being acting as agent for the landlord, in relation to the tenancy, that person shall supply the tenant with a written statement of the landlord’s name and address within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which he receives the request. (2)A person who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with subsection (1) commits a summary offence and is liable on conviction to a fine. (3)In this section and section 2— (a)“tenant” includes a statutory tenant; and (b)“landlord” means the immediate landlord
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
here is clear, they have to show who is the landlord , at least, I can ask for landlord´s identity to any person who demands rent payable under the tenancy