Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

I live in a old converted mansion that has been converted into

Customer Question

I live in a old converted mansion that has been converted into 10 apartments. Its leasehold (100 years) and I own a percentage of the property company who owns the freehold. There are NO legal rights of way across the grounds for the public but many have been walking through our grounds and carpark for years. We have little privacy and some damage done by these trespassers and we have gated the paths, put signs up and tried to get people to stop trespassing but get threats and abuse for doing so.
Some (not all) of the residents now want to lock the gates, others don't(worried about the reaction)this split in wishes has meant that nothing has been done for 5 yrs now and we are fed up. Can we insist that the freehold property company inforce our rights, or does the property company have the right to block this via voting shares. Its clear legally that there are not public rights of way - agreed by the local council and police.?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. Thank you for the question. Have you reported the harassment and intimidation to the police? Who exactly is it that you are worried about getting intimidation from? Members of the public? Why is it that some people do not want the gates locked, because of the alleged intimidation and harassment? As much background detail as possible is really useful please. Thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 months ago.
Can I assist you any further with this today?