Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience

I have been served Papers via recorded delivery to my place

Customer Question

I have been served Papers via recorded delivery to my place of work. Non idea who singed for them. I have been named as a co respondent in a divorce. The petitioner only found out about her husband's affairs as I told her. He had lied to everyone we work with for 3 1/2 years saying he was separted. She also had the names of the other females involved but has only named me a correspondent. We never had sexual intercourse.
I am planning on ignoring the papers as I believe that they should be served on me personally. I live in NI. If I decide to answer it I intend on contesting it and representing myself. Is there anything obvious I am doing wrong?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstAre you still in contact with the Respondent?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No when he disclosed he had been living a double life I cut contact with him
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.
Is there any reason why you do not wish to simply defend the claim and deny the allegation
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot afford a solicitor which I need to defend the claim by answering the petition and lodging papers in the court. Also I was the one who told her everything and she has now named me without any reason to do so. I don't see why I should respond, she should remove me
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.
My concern is that if you ignore the paperwork and the husband has acknowledged and admitted the Divorce then it will go ahead and the fact that someone signed for the envelope will be sufficient for your name to be used.To ensure that cannot happen all you need to do is complete the Acknowledgement of Service refuting the allegation - which will mean that your name cannot be usedPlease ask if you need further details