JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

There i have some convictions on my criminal record that

Customer Question

Hi there i have some convictions on my criminal record that were spent a long time ago but im now applying for permanent residency in Canada and they have appeared on my record but it doesnt say they were spent can i get a lawyer in the uk to look over my charges and write a letter to confirm all charges are now spent
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  JGM replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your question. Remember that convictions which are spent are only spent within the meaning of UK legislation meaning that you don't have to disclose them when making certain applications, usually for employment, within the UK. That legislation doesn't apply abroad. Foreign immigration authorities have their own rules when deciding whether to grant residency applications, usually that the person is of good character. Good character will be defined in their own rules and regulations. So whilst you can easily get a letter from a UK lawyer to say that your convictions are spent under UK law, it is the law of Canada that will be relevant in determining whether they grant your application or not. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.