Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

My daughter has a bailiff's letter collecting on a CCJ against

Customer Question

My daughter has a bailiff's letter collecting on a CCJ against her. She has no knowledge of the case. I can't find a judgment against her on the official website, but the letter has got her name wrongly (mis-spelt first name, incomplete surname).
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: She was taken to hospital against her will in Nevada. She has received a few letters from a Swiss debt-collection agency claiming c£850. She ignored the letters, since she felt she wasn't liable. Suddenly she has a bailiff's letter claiming roughly this amount, so presumably it originates from her US experience.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Does she recognise the creditor?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes. But she disputes that the debt is valid. She was taken to hospital in Nevada despite insisting she didn't need medical help. They sent her a bill anyway and a couple of chasing letters, but she ignored them as she didn't acknowledge the validity of their claim. Suddenly there's a bailiff involved after they apparently got a CCJ against her. She never heard about any court proceedings and nor did I (the letter might well have come to my house as her last-known address).
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Did she have a redirection on the post?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. The only address they would have had was mine, and no court documents have come to me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
To what address did they send the bill?