Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Would like to speak to a solicitor...about banking laws...my

Customer Question

would like to speak to a solicitor...about banking laws...my bank has just informed me they are closing all my accounts no reason was given, when I phoned them up they questioned me as to where I got my monies when I answered...benefits and some cheques from friends helping me I was told to go elsewhere to bank, and that I could not appeal I was shocked as I have not done anything illegal
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
Good evening. Thank you for the question. I see that you requested a telephone call and I’mhappy to talk to you about this on the telephone and I will submit a premiumservice shortly for which there is an extra cost. You are free to accept or justleave it in abeyance. How long have you been with this bank for? What level of money are you talking about? Over what period of time? With regard to the benefit cheques, these obviouslycome from the relative departments so why did they ask where they came from? Was there cash? How much? Where is the money now? Have they given it you backor did they not take it from you? As much background detail as possible is reallyuseful please. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi
How much extra is it to be advised on the phone? thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) I have been with the bank over 30 years...never used my bank for much, but have been using my account rather a lot recently to shop on the internet but also to pay bills making sure there is always enough funds to cover my out goings.2) level of money...I am paying back a £22,000 (twenty two thousand) loan which I have had ppi (7.6 thousand in total) checks + checks off 800+ 300 + a few others, of 3' 2' and 1' (hundreds) =a few others from 2 friends helping me out3)my benefits I pick up from the post office (in total with my disability approx.£1000 to 12000 for the month) the bank was not aware of this but I have informed them of this (in phone call after I found out they were closing my account)
4) there is not much money in my account.. they have just said after monitoring my account they are not going to support me any longer.. and to take my direct debit and standing orders somewhere elsethey have given me approx. 6weeks to go elsewhereThe person I spoke to on the phone has said there is no appeal, I just need to go
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
We can spend almost as much time as you like on the phone which can last up to half an hour, and is obviously totally confidential,for a fixed fee.I don’t actually know who you are or where you are and there is no need for me to know. I will submit a premium services proposal for you. I need to know how much of the money comes into theaccount in cash and how much in cheques over what period of time and why thesefriends are helping you out. I’m looking at it from the banking point of view which is why I need that information. I know why they do this, that is relatively simple.What I’m trying to do is apply the banks thinking to your circumstances to ascertain why they’ve done it in your particular case. Kind regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
with all this advice how will it help me? in terms of what is going on? what could I hope to achive? is the £51.00 extra ? other than the talk on the phone will I still have advice until the issue is resolved ?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
You do not have to accept the telephone call. You asked how much it was so I submitted the proposal. You just pay the one fee for all of our exchanges. If you let me have the extra information I asked for , I can advise you. Regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I did respond to the questions you asked on the 25/04/2016 12:49 are you able to see my answers to your questions ?
Is there anything I can do? what is the best I can hope from all this? this is taking some time I was hoping for some information at this stage Reguards
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
I am stillwaiting for the extra information I asked for. This is what I asked:I need to know how much of the money comes into the accountin cash and how much in cheques over what period of time and why these friendsare helping you out. I’m looking at it from the banking point of view which is why I need that information. Meanwhile, totry to assist you, if a bank decides that it no longer wants your business, thereality is that there is very little you can do about it. They are free tochoose and reject customers as they wish. You cannotbeat them with a stick until they agree to take your account. With all themoney laundering regulations, if anything is a little bit out of the ordinarythey will simply close the account or leave the account in abeyance and not letyou get any money out but meanwhile, report the matter to the Serious OrganisedCrime Agency. However, if they do that, whilst you won't be able to get anymoney, they will not tell you why because, "tipping off" is actuallya criminal offence itself. It is thenature of the transactions which would raise suspicion but until I have theinformation I've asked from you, it's difficult to say whether that's thereason. Ultimately,you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service and they will investigatethe matter and although they can order the bank to reinstate the account, itisn't going to be quick. If you let mehave the extra information that I asked for, I can probably clarify thingsfurther for you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to know how much of the money comes into the accountin cash and how much in cheques over what period of time and why these friendsare helping you out.
1)The exact amount that came into the account in cash....it came in dribs and drabs...just depends on what was being paid out of the account that month, made purchases from the account of internet also(plants, books wigs from china, different things from groupon..living social ie earrings slimming tablets, vitamins. credit card...so in cash approx. £300-500 this was not a regular payment on a monthly basis... I had a lot of cash in there from a ppi this was a cheque £7.5-6000 (thousand)2) cheques was not on a monthly basis... from time to time a £100. here and there...I had two cheques off about £500 and £800 over a year...a couple of £300 £200 and maybe £100 here and there(this is over a year) a boyfriend helping with my
bills
3) I also pick up £366.++pence weekly which they were not aware of but I informed them of in a phone call (employment and support and disability combined) not paid into bank but post office25/04/2016 12:491) I have been with the bank over 30 years...never used my bank for much, but have been using my account rather a lot recently to shop on the internet but also to pay bills making sure there is always enough funds to cover my out goings.2) level of money...I am paying back a £22,000 (twenty two thousand) loan which I have had ppi (7.6 thousand in total) checks + checks off 800+ 300 + a few others, of 3' 2' and 1' (hundreds) =a few others from 2 friends helping me out3)my benefits I pick up from the post office (in total with my disability approx.£1000 to 12000 for the month) the bank was not aware of this but I have informed them of this (in phone call after I found out they were closing my account)
4) there is not much money in my account.. they have just said after monitoring my account they are not going to support me any longer.. and to take my direct debit and standing orders somewhere else3
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
Based upon what you've told me, and provided your account does notgo overdrawn without consent, I can see no reason why any of the activityshould be suspicious. I therefore cannot add anything to what I've said already. I would certainly make a complaint to the Financial OmbudsmanService. http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm I can tell you however that opening a bank account with theCo-operative Bank has proved, for clients of mine in the past in not too dissimilarsituations, relatively painless. I know that they will take people whoare bankrupt or who are in an IVA. You cannot have an overdraft on the account. Here are details: http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/currentaccounts/cashminder I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or notbut I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this. As I said earlier, ultimately, you cannot beat the bank with astick until they give you your account back stop they are not actually under aduty to tell you why they have closed your account but it would not stop memaking a substantial complaint. Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively so thatI get credit from my time today. The thread does not close, it remains openeven though you may get the impression it closes. We can still follow up any points outstanding. Kind regards
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
Good evening. Can you assist you any further with this? Please do not forget to use the rating service otherwise I get no credit for my time.Thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. Can I assist you any further with this?When you get a moment, please don’t forget to use the ratingservice to rate my answer positive. It doesn’t cost you any extra but it’s theonly way that I get credit so it does help me greatly. Thank you.