Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Do i have to pay customs when exporting diamonds from ghana

Customer Question

do i have to pay customs when exporting diamonds from ghana where your travelling from and where your going? and is sending through dhl cheaper?***@******.*** can i have your email to please? and thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  lucy7368 replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. At first glance, it sounds like you may be the target of a common scam. Can you tell me anything else about your situation? Who is sending you diamonds? Why? How did you meet them? And why are they asking you to pay customs or other shipping fees?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no, i was asking if you are bring diamonds into the uk from ghana do you have to pay customs on both sides or can you just travel with it freely
Expert:  lucy7368 replied 6 months ago.
In that case, I'll have to let you talk to a UK expert. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Importing diamonds will be subject to a standard VAT rate of 20% of the value of the diamond. However, I agree with my colleague that this has the hallmarks of a typical scam so if you want further advice on that please provide the details asked earlier. Thanks