Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

An employee of mine lied to my boss about me. Then she must

Customer Question

An employee of mine lied to my boss about me. Then she must have known she did the wrong thing and quit on the spot. Anyways, I just found out this former employee got references from our company from someone else to get a new job. Today I was aksed about her and I cant lie, I said I don't know who gave these "glowing"refernces about her but I was about to fire her.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet, but I would like too
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: when she worked for me, she threatened me, my daughter and my mother. Today, I said, I would like to know who gave her these glowing refernces from our organization, do I have a right to know who gave her refernces?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello do you mean you wish to ask your employer about who gave her these references?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In speaking with her current employer I should advise them that I would not have given her a reference and that I am wondering who from my employer gave her a "glowing" reference?
Thank you. Unfortunately you have no legal right to know who issued the reference from your organisation. Regardless of the issues you and this person had experienced in the past, that does not prevent the employer from giving them a positive reference based on other unrelated factors. Even if they have given her a positive reference with which you do not agree, this is a confidential matter between your employer, the new employer and the employee. There is nothing stopping you from asking either employer to disclose who provided the reference but they would be entirely within their rights to refuse to provide such information and unfortunately you would not be able to force its disclosure. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.