Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

I got a simple caution last year March 2015 - I am applying

Customer Question

hi _ I got a simple caution last year March 2015 - I am applying for naturalisation - will I get rejected especially as I was in school and 19 years and I am applying with my family
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it was a shop lifting caution - they locked me at the jail till morning
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 6 months ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive

where did you get the caution? what was the item?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello there - it was my daughter - she was still in High school - they went to a retail store and got some clothing
The thing is that we are now trying to apply for British Citizienship as a family and I am really concernedWe have been in this country from 2004 - she was a child at this stage around 9 years of age but she is now an adult and at UniversityRegardsShantel

The caseworker is not going to give any weight to this caution. You were a 9 year old child. You should not worry about this at all. I hope this helps. Please rate positive.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi ThomasShe was 19 when she received the caution. This was last yearI was just telling you that she was 9 when we came into the UK and we cannot return back to our country incase they refuse to give her citizenship

Ok. That was not very clear. Cautions are taken into account to show good character. There is a view that the longer you wait the better (normally three years is the ideal time); that said, the fact that she was still at school and thus arguably still a child (although I note 18) really means it can be put down to a childish mistake. I remain optimistic in this regard. Happy to discuss but please rate positive.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you