Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I applied eea family permit. The application has since

Customer Question

I applied for an eea family permit. The application has since been cancelled I'm stuck in a house with a person who doesn't want me here. I have no way to get back to the states without it. The h\Home Office has failed to give me my passport back. so far I have been at the the wim of everyone else and feel like i should have some sort of right to get what i need. I need to leave here and go back to the U.S.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.
Good morning. Thank you for the question.You say that you’re stuck in the house with a person who doesn’t want you there. Is that because you can’t get back to the United States? Is the reason that you can’t get back to the United States that you don’t yet have your passport and hence, you are still in the house?If you had been granted the Family Permit would you have stayed in the house? What would be the problem between that and now?Finally, what you want to know about this? How to get your passport back?How long ago was the application cancelled? Do you mean that it was cancelled or turned down?As much background as possible is really useful please. Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The home office has failed to send the passport back. the application was cancelled several weeks ago. because we do not want to be married any more. i cannot get back to the US without my passort.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My spouse could decide in the next minute that i need to get out and id have no where to go and no way of knowing what is going on with my passport or anything else.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. How many weeks ago is several weeks ago?Have you actually written to them and asked them for it back or spoken to them and if so, with what result? Have they simply not dealt with it or are they refusing?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was three weeks ago. I have done everything i have been asked to do. and i still dont have my passport.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They aren't refusing to do it ,they just haven't.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I need you to answer my specific questions please.Have you actually written to them and asked them for it back or spoken to them and if so, with what result?Have they simply not dealt with it or are they refusing?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I used the only avenue they provided which is an online submission to cancel residency request and to return my documents. they dont provided a way to write to them or ask if they are refusing to process the request.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They simply have not done what they are supposed to have done.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.
you need to write to them at this address explaining the urgency and asking for this to be dealt with as soon as possible. However, just because the relationship has broken down and you want to move, it will not be classed as emergency. The reason is that you were making an application for a Family Permit which presumably was because she wanted to stay. Now, because you haven’t got it, you are claiming that the relationship has broken down and hence, circumstances have changed. As they have now however exceeded the normal turnaround time, it is quite in order for you to chase them up. You write to them at this address: International Operations and Visas 6 Millsands Vulcan House Sheffield S3 8NH United Kingdom You can telephone the Central Voluntary Departures team on 0300(###) ###-####hey do have a service standard time of 10 days which they try to stick to, but they cannot guarantee that turnaround time. What you can also do is contact to the United States Embassy who can get in touch with UK Visas and Immigration and brings some pressure to bear on them. There is no magic mechanism to make UKVI deal with this in a more timely manner. You are likely to get more positive response from them if you make an appealing request rather than a formal complaint. I am not certain whether that answers your question or not but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this. Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit for my time today. The thread does remain open, even after rating even though you may get the impression it closes, it does not, we can still follow up any further queries that you have. Kind regards