Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I am going to be divorce and my wife have moved back to

Customer Question

Hi I am going to be divorce and my wife have moved back to Danmark with our kids. I am expecting to pay 7.500 yearly to my wife and 5.000 in child support. How do the tax regarding this work in UK? Thats what I am looking for
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: not sure what that should be
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon. Thank you for the question. Is the question that you’re asking whether you can get tax relief on those maintenance payments?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes thats my question and if so what should i do to get it
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.
Maintenance payments can be tax-deductible in certain circumstances and one of the criteria is that one of you must be born before 6 April 1935. I haven’t got a clue why they have the arbitrary date, but that’s it. Other than that, payments must be made from taxable income and are not tax-deductible and the person receiving them receives them tax-free. Here is the same in different wording from another site. http://findlaw.co.uk/law/tax/taxes/tax_on_benefits_pensions_and_maintenance/9534.html Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this? Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit from my time today. You may get the impression that the thread closes after rating, in fact, it does not. It stays open and we can still exchange further emails if anything needs clarification. Kind regards.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what if she has to pay tax in Denmark
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.
I don’t know what the tax situation is in Denmark and she may have to pay tax there or not but it’s doubtful. However it would not affect the UK tax situation.