How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to be divorce and my wife have moved back to

Customer Question

Hi I am going to be divorce and my wife have moved back to Danmark with our kids. I am expecting to pay 7.500 yearly to my wife and 5.000 in child support. How do the tax regarding this work in UK? Thats what I am looking for
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: not sure what that should be
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. Thank you for the question. Is the question that you’re asking whether you can get tax relief on those maintenance payments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thats my question and if so what should i do to get it
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Maintenance payments can be tax-deductible in certain circumstances and one of the criteria is that one of you must be born before 6 April 1935. I haven’t got a clue why they have the arbitrary date, but that’s it. Other than that, payments must be made from taxable income and are not tax-deductible and the person receiving them receives them tax-free. Here is the same in different wording from another site. Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this? Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit from my time today. You may get the impression that the thread closes after rating, in fact, it does not. It stays open and we can still exchange further emails if anything needs clarification. Kind regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if she has to pay tax in Denmark
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
I don’t know what the tax situation is in Denmark and she may have to pay tax there or not but it’s doubtful. However it would not affect the UK tax situation.