Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Do I need planning permission to build a shed in my garden?

Customer Question

Do I need planning permission to build a shed in my garden? My property is not listed but is in a conservation area.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 10 months ago.
good afternoon. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I need some more information from you please. Is the shed a conventional normal size wooden type shed or is it particularly large and high?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Brick/stone corner pillars timber frame with feather boarding. Slate sloping roof about 2ft from a boundary wall. I am aware of height restrictions and planning regs and it will not go above this. IT will be about 10ft x 6ft once completed. I should mention that the property is in Wales
Thank you. I note that you’re familiar with the distance and height restrictions. I’m not certain what the problem is. Is it the type of structure that concerns you and the fact that it is a bit more permanent than a wooden potting shed being brick pillars in the corners, slate roof with timber infill? (It sounds really pretty).
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My query is not so much about the construction its more to do with location. The shed will be a permanent structure and I don't want to fall foul of the planning dept - i could have asked them but it would take weeks for them to get back to me and I want to get on with it.
So more specifically...
Does the fact my property is in a conservation area make any difference to what I can and cant do re outbuildings? Although my property is not listed there is a house nearby that is, does this make any difference?
And lastly my neighbour has a barn, the wall of which forms our boundary. How much space do I need to leave between my shed and their barn wall?
Or can I just do what I like as long as its below a certain height?
Thank you. Let’s deal with the conservation area first.Turn to Page 43 herehttp://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20151113141044/http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdfa look at the bottom diagram. I assume that the building is not going to be in one of the shaded areas. Basically, you mustn’t be able to see it towards the front of the house.With regard to the distance from the boundary, it’s easier to refer to the Planning Portal although it’s not particularly well laid out.https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildingsThe distance from the boundary then relates to the height. If it is more than 2 m from the boundary it can be up to 4 m to the apex, 2.5 m to the eaves.If it is closer than 2 m to the boundary then it’s a maximum of 2.5 m to the eaves.There is nothing to stop it being right up to the boundary although what you have to consider of course is access for maintenance for both of you.Does that answer the question?Can I answer any specific points arising from this?Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit for my time today. You may get the impression the thread closes but in fact, it doesn’t, it stays open and you are free to ask for clarification of any points arising.Please bear with me over the weekend because I will be online and off-line spasmodically therefore, I may not get back to you immediately. Kind regards
Hello again. Good afternoon. Can I assist you any further with this or have you now resolve the issue?