Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

My step daughter has made certain allegations to thepolice

Customer Question

my step daughter has made certain sexual
allegations to thepolice that I have abused her 4 year old daughter. I understand the police are questioning the child. Should the mother be present when
they are interviewing the child.
I have been arrested and put on bail pending
police inquiries
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Has this happened in the UK?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No in Gibraltar
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no in gibraltar
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, I'm not in Gibraltar.

I will opt out for you.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

Gibraltar Law mirrors the UK law and as far as I’m aware, we have no Gibraltar expert on here so I will answer as though this is UK law and you can be pretty certain that will be the same or similar in Gibraltar. There may be minor details different.

There does not have to be a parent present as such, there has to be what is called an “appropriate adult” although the police preferred option is a parent or guardian.

Nor do the police have to have the parent’s consent.

If there is to be a medical examination, and the parents do not consent, social services can apply to court for an order to have the examination undertaken.

Here is some reading from CAB.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/relationships/children-and-young-people/child-abuse/police-involvement/child-abuse-how-the-police-investigate-allegations/

The Police may decide not to have parents present if they think that the parent is either going to be stressed out by the process or if the parents are likely to “interfere”.

Does that answer the question?

Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit from my time today. Although you may get the impression that the thread closes, it does not, it stays open and you are free to ask me to clarify any points arising.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. Good afternoon. Can I assist you any further with this or have you now resolve the issue?