Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Someone is blackmailing me I 't know what to do, I red a

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** is blackmailing me I don't know what to do,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I hired a hacker five days ago to hack an email, we had an argument, situation went really bad between us. Now he is blackmailing me, saying I need to send him 1000 pounds or he will inform the target with my details I can't inform the police or I will be in trouble because I requested hacking , i don't know what to do, i am crying please help me
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please guys help me, I already paid him 300 pounds and he wants more, the problem is he informs the target, i will be in serious trouble and may me forced to leave the uk, please what to do
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know what to do MS Jo C.The guy is still blackmailing me, I cannot report to the authorities as I had them as a hacker in the beginning, I can't go to the police and tell them (I assigned this hacker, but now he is blackmailing me that he will email the target individual and tell him that I asked for such such service). If he tells the target, it will jeopardize my whole future.I really don't know what to do? Could you advise me please? If you still need any further justification, please let me know.I know I have made a mistake for asking for a hacking service, I understood my mistakes now, but what should I do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

What is the blackmail?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Exactly an hour ago, he told me "The hacker" he wants a total of 1500 pounds. In exchange, he will not email "The target individual" and tell them that "I" requested a hacking service to figure-out something related to them.I hope I made the image of the situation clear to you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

Well, blackmail is always very difficult.

If you pay he will demand more.

if you don't pay he may reveal the information.

The reality is that he has committed a much more serious crime than anything you were involved in so you could report it to the police and if you do he will be needing his toothbrush at court.

But in the meantime he may reveal this information.

There are no risk free options really.

I think overall I would probably report it and refuse to pay though.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I totally appreciate your response Jo C.The problem is, I am in the UK, and this individual is in another country and using a fake identity, so he will never be reached, and I don't know how the police will help me if I informed them.Assuming I will contact the police, what should I say? I really don't know, that's my main concern if you could help me with it please.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

You can only tell the truth which is that you are receiving blackmail threats.