Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I was caught shoplifting (I've never done it before and this

Customer Question

I was caught shoplifting (I've never done it before and this is driving me nuts, not entirely sure what came over me?). I paid for some items and then went and got some more and put them into my shopping bag and tried to leave. The alarm went off and then I went to the till and it became apparent that there were more items in my bag than what was on my receipt. (It was roughly £25 extra worth of items). The girl called the manager over who I don't think fully understood the situation because I told him I wanted to pay and that I was in a rush, he scanned the items and I paid with my debit card. My itch is that because I used my debit card will they use the details to track me? Even though I paid? I expect the girl at the till will have told the manager what happened when I left. No police were called and it was a pretty seemless ordeal?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

Are you asking if the police will act?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm asking if anything is likely to happen at all - will they use my card details to send me a letter/a fine? Will I have a criminal record? I'm a bit paranoid!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

You paid at the scene and they seem to have accepted your explanation.

The police are very unlikely to act now and anyway they can't prove an intention to permanently deprive so theft is not made out.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you this is very helpful. The fact that there is probably video footage of me doing it won't contribute to this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

No, because they can't prove an intention to permanently deprive.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks so much
and because of this it's unlikely they will send a letter with a fine?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

They could send out a civil recovery fine but that isn't likely and they have suffered no loss.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your reply.
In your opinion do you think anything will happen?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

No, for the reasons above.

they are not likely to call the police and the police are not likely to act.