Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience

When i first moved to a council house from my parents house

Customer Question

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

If you read your tenancy agreement with the council you will see that in fact you are not actually entitled to retain your tenancy at all

if you own other property.

You certainly will not qualify for the Right to Buy.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My tenancy doesnt say anything. Wen i first applied for council housing i didnt have any properties. I got them in the last 5 years. Plus the properties i have are buy to lets, its for investments. My council house is still my main home.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Which council are you with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Waltham forest. Can you refer me to the law if u can too please.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

If you have read through your Tenancy agreement carefully and there is no exclusion if you acquire a property then you should be fine - I assume that it is not a flexible tenancy.

You may still struggle with the Right to Buy but I have looked at what is available on line

and you MAY be OK

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thnk u so much Clare.One last thing, the law says the following:You can apply to buy your council home if: it's your only or main home.Its not my only but my main home. Its says 'or' so i am thinking its fine. Whats ur opinion on that?Also at any point of purchasing neither the council or solicitor as whether inown another home. Should i volunteerly say i have another home of buy to let or not, what do you think?Thanks so much again.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

There is case law which could go against you - but provided you have never lived in any of the other houses you may be ok

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Which case law is that clare? Can you refer please?
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.