Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have signed a 12 month contract with Regus office but they

Customer Question

I have signed a 12 month contract with Regus for an office but they did not tell me that there was going to be extra charges and I want to give notice to terminate this agreement but they are telling me that I am tied up for twelve month , I believe I should be able to give three months notice and vacate to somewhere else. whats your opinion ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to know if I can give a notice to terminate the contract , but Regus are telling me that I have to wait for the twelve months to end the contract.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
because I have another office now that i already moved to so I can't have the Regus one as well because I don't need it anymore but don't want to pay for for thewlve months when I am not using it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Does your contract say you can give notice?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No it doesn't ,
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Does it bind you for 12 months?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does , is there no other way out , because I don't need the office now
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Not if you are bound for 12 months and you didn't agree cooling off rights.

None will exist automatically I'm afraid.

If there is genuinely no means of cancelling in the contract then none will exist.

They would only have a lost profits claim rather than a claim for the full sum under the contract but nevertheless there would be a claim.

You could always offer a lesser sum in full and final settlement. They might well accept that.

Sorry but I can only give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They charged me £334 rent per month and they charged two months rent in deposit , I have offere them three months rent but they refused, how much can they actually claim in this case , because they can still rent out the office to somebody else , I am definitely not happy to pay a year 's rent in an office I am not using. Can you give me an idea of how much they are legally entitled to claim in case.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

The starting point is that they are entitled the full amount due under the contract.

You might be able to persuade the court that they only have a lost profits claim but how much that is depends on their figures.