Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I left the UK, and friends told me that the police was

Customer Question

Hello there
I left the UK, and friends told me that the police was looking for me at all the addresses i lived at in the past in london. I do not know why, i have never had convictions or cautions against me.
where can i search if there is an arrest warrant against me? is there a website for that? or a phone number that i can call?
many thanks in advance for your advice
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

They don't put search warrants online.

Or make them available for public viewing at all anywhere.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

There is no way to check remotely.

You could call the constabulary and ask them but usually they will not tell you over the phone for data protection reasons.

They may tell a firm of solicitors if you have any existing relationships with a firm who could check for you. They do not always but sometimes they may.

The only way to ascertain whether a warrant exists is to hand yourself into a police station. Obviously you should only do that if it is a time when you are prepared to risk being arrested.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for your prompt reply. then how can i know if there is an arrest warrant against me? i am worried to get arrested at the airport when i go back to the UK.do i need to hire a criminal solicitor to look on my behalf. or what? this is my first time at all this so i am very green about how to find out
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

You might be able to pay a firm to make a call for you. Not all firms will do that but some will in exchange for the promise of keeping the case.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i already contacted a criminal solicitor in london, and he asked me for a signed and dated letter from me to be able to use it to release information from public records. he said he can know if there is a search warrant against me in 3 hours.so i just wanted to double check here if there is not any other way
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

You can make a subject access request but that takes 40 days.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Otherwise the only options are to hand yourself in or to phone and ask.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am sorry, i do not understand, what is a subject access?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also, phone and ask who????
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

A request for any information that is held upon you.

That will take 40 days.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
does that mean that the solicitor i asked to look on my behalf is cheating me when he said he can find out within 3 hours?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

No, it means he proposes to call them probably.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay.. thanks you very much for your answer.
is there anything i should know of or you'd like o advise because end this enquiry?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

You mean the police interest in you?

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i just want to know if there is another way to see if there an arrest warrant against me or what is their interest in me before i go back to the UK
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry your last reply was blank
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

I have submitted an offer above.