Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I'm just writing to ask whether or not reading underage

Customer Question

Hi, I'm just writing to ask whether or not reading underage fanfiction in the uk is an offense and whether commenting on it is as well.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a lawyer based in London. Could you explain this situation in a little more detail please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my friend is currently reading fanfiction online which includes underage sex and rape with no imagery whatsoever and i know this is not illegal but is commenting that you liked the story an offense?
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

It really depends on what he actually says and does. Is there any need to comment on it at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just asking whether they are going to update and that they liked the story nothing graphic whatsoever or descriptive. and no there is not im just making sure that it is not an offense
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what sort of things would be an offense?
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

Presently there is nothing in the Sexual Offences Act 2003 or associated legislation which makes reading this type of material a crime. A crime could be committed if, for example, child images were obtained, viewed or downloaded or there was some contact with children and it involved grooming. . Making a comment about an article is unlikely to amount to a crime either but, of course, the writer has to be careful what he says as inciting sexual offences is a crime. But in general terms I can't see anything illegal from what you have described so far.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no nothing sexual was said in these comments whatsoever. does the same answer above apply in the us do you know?
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

I can't comment on U.S. law unfortunately as I only practise in the U.K.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would the comments have to be extremely crude to elicit an offense? they havent commented anything like that.
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

Not necessarily. Crude, offensive or sexually explicit comments could amount to an offence obviously but so could veiled or disguised comments. It really depends on what is said, what the context is and the writers intention.