Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a Bailiff who keeps turning up at my premises when I

Customer Question

I have a Bailiff who keeps turning up at my premises when I am not at home and adding more cost onto my judgement because I am in arrears with my monthly payments on a CCJ . Is it possible to ask the court to stay this Judgement so that I could go back to the Creditor and agree a payment plan with them as if this Bailiff keeps turning up when I am at work like this I will never be able to pay this CCJ off . This problem has been caused by as I have been unable to work due the weather during the last three months . Could you please suggest the best way to deal with this situation .
Regards
Category: UK Law
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 9 months ago.

Do you have the money to satisfy the Judgment?

Have you contacted the Bailiff?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not got the money to satisfy the Judgement
I contacted the Bailiff and offered to pay more per month from April until I get rid of Arrears but he still visits my property just to add extra costs on .If he keeps doing this ill never catch up as the original Judgement was for £3000 and I have paid £1350 but he has pushed the Total owing according to him back to £3670 . He just left a Notice saying that the Total was £3670 . Can I ask for Statement showing how he has arrived at this High Total , Regards John

Thank you. However, I just realized that this is U.K law. I am in the U.S.A.. So, I will opt out and move your case to U.K. law so that you can receive proper response to your post.

All the best,

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi. How far in arrears are you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
£650 I was 3 months in arrears but I have paid £100 . Would it be possible to ask the Court to Stay the Warrant for a month or two so that I will be working again. Regards
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you could apply. Whether it will succeed is another matter.

It would have been possible to apply for a variation order on the basis that your circumstances had changed but you didn't do that.

If they have secured fresh orders then it is too late now.

If not then you could make that application.

That is a better option than seeking to stay the warrant.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I apply to the Court that issued the warrant
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Yes usually you do with stays.

With a variation order it would be the court that issues the CCJ.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will try to apply for a variation order tomorrow . I will let you know how I get on .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

No problem. All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.