Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

A board fell off of the trailer I was towing and did a small

Customer Question

A board fell off of the trailer I was towing and did a small amount of damage to the bumper of a stationary 2001 Ford . Maximum damage £150 - £300 after speaking with the owner we agreed that it was not necessary to involve insurance companies he agreed to phone me with a price to do the repair and I agreed to pay for the repair and we exchanged phone numbers for the purpose of fulfilling our agreement.
Ten days later I got a letter from my insurance company asking me if I was involved in an incident. Fact is neither my car or trailer were in contact with another vehicle. I don’t want to involve my insurance company for a £300 claim as I have full no claims and an excess of £500.
Am I compelled to go through my insurance company?
I have a verbal contract to the other party to do the repair can he now opt out?
How should I respond to my insurance company?
Where do I stand?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. It's usually a term of your is insurance policy that you must report all incidents - it is immaterial that no vehicular contact took place; the fact remains that your car was damaged and it appears to have been somebody else's fault. It's arguable that it's up to you whether you wish to make a claim but the determining g factor is the wording of your insurance policy which you must check. Failure to keep to the terms of the policy could render the policy invalid and the insurer could terms it for breach of contract or refuse to indemnify you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My car was not damaged you didn't even take the time to read my question before responding
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

It's immaterial whether your car was damaged or whether another vehicle was damaged - the point is still the same. You will find that your insurer expects you to report all incidents of this nature - your insurance terms conditions will say this quite clearly. In any event, it no longer matters, the insurance company has clearly been informed of the incident and any communication you have with them must be a truthfully account.

Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

It's probable that the other driver has reported the matter to his insurer which explains why they have contacted you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh please tell me something I don't already know.
You really didn't bother reading my question.
Please don't respond further as you are just wasting my time & too irritating for words
Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

Nice. Have a great weekend.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

I can confirm the answer you have had is correct.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The answer may be correct correct in terms of law but as it doesn't answer my question it is irrelevant whether it is correct or not
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

You have asked whether you are compelled to go through your insurance company and that questions is answered above.