Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
13113900

My Mum wants to purchase her ground rent but I 't know where

Customer Question

My Mum wants to purchase her ground rent but I don't know where to start
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How many apartments are in the block of flats? Who currently collects the charges? Is it a management company? Does your mother have a copy of her lease?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a 3 bedroom detached house that was bought in 1950 and has been paying chief rent on ever since as for any of the original paperwork I guess it could be with one of the wills that have been rewritten over the years with one of the solicitors that have been used
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Thank you - are there any other houses that form part of an overall freehold estate? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To be honest I'm not sure about that but I do believe from some conversations over the years that some people have in fact bought them
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. The starting point is to contact the freeholder - if your mother knows where she pays the rents to, then this is who you should contact to arrange the sale. Are there any other people in the overall freehold estate who would be interested in making a purchase as well? Kind regards AJ