Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a dual uk/australian national as my father and mother

Customer Question

Hi I am a dual uk/australian national as my father and mother were born in the UK and I was born in australia in the late 1960.s. I recently travelled to UK and was turned back to Australia after I told the Border Security guard that I am a dual UK citizen and was thinking about working in the UK. Bad mistake. I am still uncertain about retravelling back to the UK. And have applied for a british passport. My question is if I do get the British Passport. Do I have the rights to live and work in the UK? If I so chose to. Or do I need other forms and which forms do I need? I am still unsure of this and feel very nervous, as we were detained, fingerprinted ,photographed ,and locked in a cell for hours. Any assistance would be most appreciated. Regards Richard
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Have you ever held a uk passport before?

Kind regards

Tom

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Tom, no I have never held a uk passport, I am in the process of applying for one at the moment.
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If you receive your UK citizenship then you will obtain uk citizenship “by descent”, because it has descended from your parents.

This would mean that you would have all the same rights as other Uk citizens except that you would not automatically be able to pass on your citizenship to your own children.

Therefore, once you have your UK passport you will have the right to enter the UK and work immediately. There are no other doucments that you need in order to enter the UK apart from your passport and you are free to apply for work as soon as you enter but you will need to apply for a national insurance number once you have entered the UK but this is a straightforward process.

Good luck, I hope you are successful in obtaining your passport.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom