Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

On a night out i got really drunk and i ended up with a

Customer Question

on a night out i got really drunk and i ended up with a kebab knife in my hand for under 1 minute. it was caught on cctv and the knife was handed back to the shop but i have to go to court for it now. is there any way i am able to plead not guilty? i dont want a crimial record
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hello what have you been charged with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bladed article in public place
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I'm not sure what defence you are hoping to raise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont know that is why i came here. is it possible i could say that i borrowed the kabab knife and was gven it back or something? i dont want to be branded a criminal for this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, because that would be untrue. You can only either tell the truth or say nothing in the course of legal proceedings.

In any event, whether you borrowed it or took it with permission you still had a blade in public place with no lawful excuse.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I realise that you may not want a criminal record but you can only raise defences if they are available to you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from what i have told you. would there be any defenses there? i was really drunk so i dont recall the night. if i got the shop to be on my side could that help to say that they borrowed it from me and i was given it back or something? or do i just have to accept that life can really do you over?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not on the facts you provide.

The issue is why you had this knife. It cannot have just ended up in your hand.

If you get the shop to say something untrue then that is perverting the course of justice for which you would go to prison for at least three months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in all honesty i was threaten. If i was sober i wouldn't have done this but i was past rational drunk thinking. in my eyes and from what you see from the video is that, the knife was n the public eyes for less then 30 seconds, wasnt waved in no ones face, and was given back to owner and also was really drunk... if i did get a statement from the shop to state it was borrowed, would that count as a defense if they said that? (even though it counts as perverting the course of justice)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No.

They haven't charged you with theft. They have charged you with possession of a bladed article.

It doesn't matter whether it was borrowed or not.

I'm sorry but you are just not raising a defence on these facts.