Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

DVLA has issued a summons in a magistrates court to give a

Customer Question

DVLA has issued a summons in a magistrates court for failing to give a SORN notice. The defendant lives hundreds of miles away from the court; indeed has has never been anywhere near that place in his life. Does that court have jurisdiction?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Is there any reason you think it may not?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When, 40 years ago, I regularly practiced criminal law, a summons or charge had to succinctly summarise the offence and, in the case of a summons, resulted from an information laid where the offence occurred or the defendant resided. As you will see from the documents and correspondence I will now provide (please let me have your email address) I suspect that numerous prosecutors are resorting to Magistrates Courts with which they have some special relationship to get citizens to pay money to the prosecutor to assuage demands for departmental savings.PS. Answering a question by a question can be very irritating.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

OK. I will opt out.

All the best.

Expert:  Alice H replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Where do they say the offence was committed and which court is dealing with the matter?