Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Ya. My name is ***** *****. Our issue is regarding our

Customer Question

Hiya. My name is ***** *****. Our issue is regarding our upstairs neighbor, who is causing a lot of noise disturbance. He doesn't have carpet down and his music (that he plays until 4am) is driving my husband and I mad the council has done nothing to support us so far, but we've got other members of the flat to say he's disturbing them as well with this parties, swearing, music etc
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It has been on going for over a year. We have spoken to the council but have received no help, such as recording devices being installed. We were calling up and logging it every night, but to be honest when we called it was 20 minutes - half an hour of sitting on the phone which just added to our already high stress levels. We can hear him swearing through the ceiling. We have asked him to quiet down which he has ignored. We've tried banging on the ceiling. He once pushed my friend when she asked him at 2am to turn the bass down (for the third time) His bass is so loud it vibrates the walls and we can't hear the TV.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 9 months ago.

what does the lease say?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know what their lease says. We rent and they have a mortgage, so our contracts are likely to be different. However, it is in the property agreement for all tenants that there should be no noise disturbance between 11pm and 8am.

And do you want to stay in the property? Who do you rent from?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we want to stay in the property. We rent through an agency but have a good relationship with our landlord.

Ok. The noise should not be going on. The key is I am afraid the council and I note that they are not taking things seriously. Matters need to be escalated. As if the council agrees with you, and the noise is a deemed a “statutory nuisance” (ie that it is a nuisance under law), they can issue an “abatement notice” which tells your neighbour that unless they stop they will be prosecuted and might end up with a fine of £5,000 for domestic premises. I would invite either your local councillors to come around to your property or the MP. Both have the power to exert considerable pressure on the council. The other option (although some forces are less likely to help) is to contact the police and advise that this is a form of harassment. This too may encourage the LA to act. Happy to discuss but please rate positive. Thanks

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you