Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have applied citizenship in October 2015 my mother is a

Customer Question

I have applied for British citizenship in October 2015 my mother is a British citizen residing as a landed immigrant in Canada. I have done the bio metrics for my application in December 2015 and have not heard anything from the UK since then. Once the application is approved I would like to move to the UK and work and settle there. Do I need to apply for a British passport once the citizenship is approved? Do I need to obtain a national security number on my own? Must I wait for the approval before doing these things? Must I wait for the approval before seeking employment in the UK? I should receive the approval by the end of March 2016 but I am not sure if there are other things I need to do that I could be doing in the meantime. Thank you for your assistance with my questions.
Royale Schottler
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.

Hi Royale

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

Once your application has been approved you will received a certitificate of naturalisation. You must then book a citizenship ceremony with your certificate.

At your citizenship ceremony you will swear allegiance to the crown.

Once you have done this you must apply for your UK passport. Once you have your UK passport you are free to travel to the UK and settle here.

Once you have entered the UK you can then apply for a National Insurance Number in order that you can start working. I do not believe you can apply for one given your current circumstances and must wait until you receive your passport.

There is no such thing as a security number; I suspect you were referring to the national insurance number.

You can attempt to look for work now but I would make it clear that you await your UK passport as proof of your right to work. Likely, UK employers will postpone offering you a job until such time as you have obtained your UK passport unfortunately.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom