Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I bought a bed from Worldstores daughter (now 7 years old)

Customer Question

i bought a bed from Worldstores for my daughter (now 7 years old) and it has broken during what I would consider normal use. It was purchased in Jan 2014 and broke December 2015. Initially they said they would contact their suppliers for a replacement part and unfortunately I threw the broken part away. Now over 2 months later they are telling me that I will have to pay the FULL PRICE and buy a new bed as they cannot supply the spare part. What course of action can I take to pursue this?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

How much did you pay for this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About £325. Single bed with roll out guest bed underneath
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Is there a guarantee periods longer than the normal?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. They are saying it is outside of the manufacturers warranty which I think is one year, but as a child's bed for daily use I'd expect it to last 4-7 years minimum!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Well, you may but that doesn't mean the SGA covers you for that time.

The SGA would have been the legislation in force at that time of purchase and the presumptions in your favour cover you for six months.

Thereafter, you are still within the period of limitation but the burden of proof is yours to show that this propensity to have this fault existed at the time of sale. Obviously it would not have had that particular fault and if it had you would not have bought it.

The problem with 'breaks' is that they can be caused in many different ways. One of them can be because the product is weak although one might have expected that to arise before 18 months. Another can be just that there has been an accident.

Either way, the SGA rights are against the seller.

If you were to sue they may well just throw their hand in and concede as they won't want to spend time defending this.

I'm afraid you are not entitled to a full refund now though unless they rolled over entirely. You have had 18 months of use from the bed and that would reflect in the refund.

I'm very sorry but that is the reality of your situation.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo