Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Regarding failing to comply with a suspended sentence
,

Customer Question

regarding failing to comply with a suspended sentence
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i was sentenced to 180 days suspended sentence for non payment of council tax, ordered to pay £100 pcm which recently i have fallen behind with but have nearly caught up with it. if ordered back to court will i go straight t prison?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How much have you paid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi i have paid over £700 by now and i think about £200 behind, i have made a payment every month but not always the full £100 sometimes £25.00 sometimes £50.00 and sometimes just over £100.00. I have just made a payment yesterday of £300 to help get back on track
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i think 900 by now
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have they summonsed you back to court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not yet that I'm aware of no
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They could act against you. Whichever way you look at this, you are in breach of the suspended sentence.

However, I wouldn't expect them to even notice since you are repaying.

Even if they do they are not going to impose it since you have brought the account up to date.

I wouldn't worry about this as long as you keep paying. They have no interest as long as they get their money.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so to clarify if they call me back and i bring the account the account up to date by the time i go back to court i should be ok?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, overall.

It is still a breach but they are not likely to act on it.