Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My boyfriend attacked me by putting s hands round my throat

Customer Question

Hi my boyfriend attacked me by putting his hands round my throat and kept me in my house for a number of hours. I telephoned the police and was seen at the hospital and also by a police doctor who increased the charges to attempted murder and abduction. I really dont want to testify in court but dont know how to proceed. He was remanded in custody and is due to appear next week again with the likelyhood of full commital. I also am feeling the need to contact him either by letter or visiting him as i feel i need answers as to why he did this to move on.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Hello what would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what can be done if withdraw my support for the prosecution and how i go about doing this? And also how i could about contacting i know obviously i can write to him but do i need to have his prison number id and if i was to do this can it make the situation worse for him?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Have you done this before?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no this is the first time i have been in this situation
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Really?

You have never called the police before to any personal dispute ever? It would make difference.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ive called about neighbours making disturbances but nothing came of it and didnt make a statement or anything
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Have you made a statement?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i made a statement the night it happened and was also taken to hospital where my injuries were documented. The police also took photographs of my injuries and i was also examined by a police doctor and it was from his report they changed the charges from assault and vandalism increasing them to attempted murder and abduction. I do not believe what he did was right at all but feel the charges are severe and do not know how to handle it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

OK. There is no way around that then.

You can tell the police that you are reluctant but they will summons you. These are serious allegations and taxpayer's money has been spent upon it's investigation.

I have to say that attempted murder is a very hopeful charge which they might well reduce but it is still likely to be a serious charge.

Whether you answer the summons is another matter. They will pursue you. It is not in the public interest to have the money of the taxpayer wasted I'm afraid. They will probably seek a witness warrant if you don't answer the summons although witness warrants do have their limitations.

Generally speaking, the more serious the allegation the more likely they are to pick you up on a witness warrant.

You do have the advantage of not having a lengthy history of summonsing the police to personal arguments which will help but given the serious allegations they are not likely to drop this I'm afraid.

I'm very sorry but that is the reality.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok and what if i visited or wrote to him is this allowed or can this cause problems in the case against him
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Is he on bail?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no he was remanded and will return to court next week but i was advised this would be done through video link from the prison and this is normal for people they believe will be fully committed
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

You can visit him in prison. Nobody can stop you doing that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.