Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I had my car seized due to unpaid parking .. i was trying to

Customer Question

hello i had my car seized due to unpaid parking .. i was trying to get some answers regarding whats to be done
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: basicly i woke up in the morning and the car was gone phoned the police , and they told me the car was taken by bailiffs phoned the bailiffs and apparently I had a parking ticket not paid and they just removed my car
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not know what action to take once the car has been seized
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Do you accept receiving a parking fine which you haven't paid?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

OK. Obviously that does allow them to seize in the end.

Are you asking how to stop them selling?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i talked to them , they advise on how to get it back
but my wallet with all my id s and my credit cards were inside , and they would want payement first before letting me get into the car
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

That is unreasonable. They should have let you collect personal effects from the car.

However, the fact remains they are refusing. You could seek an injunction to get access to the wallet but then you would have to pay for that too.

The reality is that, unless you can truthfully meet the criteria for a stat dec, the only way to stop bailiffs is to pay in full. Thereafter you might well have a claim for overcharging but that puts a stop to it.

There are other ways of paying than using your wallet - bank transfers, online banking etc.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
from what i know is illegal to keep someone s ID s. I cant go to police and ask to get hold on my wallet with id s ? I have inside money and card so I can pay the bailiffs in full once I can get inside the car ....only problem is they want the money before
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

You could make a report but I would have expected the police to say it is a civil matter. You never know with the police. Sometimes they will become involved in bailiff misconduct and sometimes not.

It is not the ID particularly but they shouldn't be denying you the opportunity to gain access to personal effects. The car is seized for the value of the debt. The personal effects are not.