Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Continuing the original query how can I check what is on my

Customer Question

continuing the original query how can I check what is on my record??
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 months ago.

Hello again, this is done by making a subject access request. I will explain how shortly

Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 entitles an individual to request from a data controller a copy of any information which amounts to personal data about them. The process is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).

If you wish to make a SAR, you need to write to the organisation that holds the data in question, in this case the local police. Your letter should include the following information:

· Make it clear that you are making a 'subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998';

· Provide details of the data you are requesting copies of;

· Your main personal details - full name, date of birth and address;

The organisation may ask for a fee to fulfil your request, which should not be more than £10. Once you have provided all the relevant information and fee, the organisation must send you a formal response within 40 days.

It is best to contact the police first to see if they want any documents from you first, such as proof of identity. Then you can follow the above process.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.