Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

We have a water machine at work and we signed up contract in

Customer Question

Customer: hi ***** ***** we have a water machine at work and we signed up for a contract in 2013 apparently it was on auto renew and we have to give a notice 3 months before renewal every year and the date is feb. so we are further stuck for 13 months if we cancel now
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Company is Edgar water
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is your specific query about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, we have a water machine at out office and have signed a contract in 2013 Feb. We just found out that it's a rolling contract and we cannot cancel till next feb which is 2017. We where not aware of the rolling contract and it has been signed by the receptionist who was working then. The company has a 3 months notice prior to renewal day which in this case would be November 2015. This is a water machine wish dispenses water. Is there any other details you need? My question is - are rolling over contract legal and can we not get out of it for another year.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Whilst there have been moves to limit the use of such rolling contracts, the legal protection has only been introduced to protect consumers, meaning the private individuals not acting in the course of a business. You are clearly acting as a business here and as such these exclusions would not apply to you. The use of rolling contracts is still legal and enforceable in business to business relationships, as long as it has been clearly incorporated in the contract between the parties. So it is a matter of checking the agreement which you had agreed to when entering into a legal relationship with the other party to see if these terms were clearly incorporated and if they were, they can still be legally binding and enforceable.

Of course it does not mean you have to continue with the contract and you can try and break it early although it would of curs be at the risk of the other side challenging you over it and going as far as court in some circumstances to try and seek compensation for the breach of contract.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.