Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My son at s age 18, had a conviction s girlfriend's laptop

Customer Question

My son at his age 18 , had a conviction for stealing his girlfriend's laptop with in few weeks of their split. he stlen it out of a sort of revenge for him being dumped by the girlfriend ( he was still having a key from his ex girlfriend and he opened the girl friend door using the key when she was not at home : but Police and megistrate courrt considered it as a burglery ( not aggravated) - more than 5 years ago and he has paid for the lap-top and spent 140 hours of community services.. Now he is an engeneer after doing 4 years M Eng course from Manchester University. Now if he applies for a job - can he tic in the box that he had 'NO' criminal conviction?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No. He does have a criminal conviction.

If he is asked whether he has any convictions that are not spent then he can reply that he does not as this would be spent now.

If he is standard or enhanced checked though, this will show.

he is not likely to be enhanced checked as he is not working with vulnerable people.

If anything he is probably basic checked so it will not show.

Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo