Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

, yes i was summoned to court case of domestic

Customer Question

Customer: Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes i was summoned to court for a case of domestic Violence, i retracted my statement a week after and i was summoned to court. I have sent countless emails to the witness protection that i do not wish to continue and also to attened. please i need advise, i do not want to go and be asked question that i will make me put my relationship at q higher risk of reconciliation
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

HI

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

I am afraid that a change in the law a few years ago means that the victim of Domestic Assaults no longer has the power to withdraw proceedings - or indeed to withdraw from them.

I am afraid that you can be forced to attend court and take the stand - but you cannot then be forced to actually give evidence.

All you need to say is that you no longer wish to give evidence and hat is that - although the court will still rely on any statements given at the time.

I am sorry not to give you better news, but it is important that you understand the position please ask if you need further details

Clare