Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I've been convicted and currently serving a 15 month

Customer Question

I've been convicted and currently serving a 15 month sentance and issued form informing me that I'm "liable for deportation". I am a British citizen with a dual citizenship the other being bulgaria. I have lived in the uk for 15 years, my ties to bulgaria are non-existant. Is the home office telling me they want to deport me, or does this mean something else? What is the best way to proceed?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

If you receive a sentence of more than 12 months now you are automatically liable for deportation.

You can challenge that on human rights grounds although it is fair to say that the chances are never very high.

You are right though. The home office are saying they want to deport you I'm afraid.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a british citizenship. Will they revoke it? I'm biritish, do they not understand i cant go back to bulgaria?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

I'm afraid that they very definitely can send you back to Bulgaria as you received a sentence of more than 12 months.

Yes, they could revoke Im afraid.