Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I need a police clearance certificate to get married abroad

Customer Question

I need a police clearance certificate to get married abroad will my spent conviction show up?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are the details of the conviction please?

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - What are the details of the conviction please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For Ben jones, I was convicted of possession and cultivation of marijuana. Over 15 years ago, received a fine of £320

The ACRO police certificate which you are going to have will reveal all convictions, warnings, reprimands and cautions recorded on UK Police Systems against your name. There used to be a step down model where after a period of time certain entries could be removed but this was stopped in 2009 so at present all entries will be shown and this will likely include your conviction. I understand that this is something which occurred 15 years ago but the courts have ruled that a person’s criminal history can be retained by the police until their 100th birthday which basically means they can keep them for life.

There are rare circumstances when past records may have been deleted in the past and not reinstated so you could check directly with the police to see what data they actually hold about you. If this conviction is still on the police records then you can assume that it will show up on the police certificate.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the procedure you need to follow to obtain a copy of your records, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you