Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Would a "false statement" include a leaflet on which someone

Customer Question

Would a "false statement" include a leaflet on which someone is listed as a councillor, with a handwritten note underneath saying "councillor elect" when they are actually a candidate in the election, which has been called because the person in question was disqualified for non-attendance? We are in the election period.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

What is your interest in this? Are you seeking to take action against the candidate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the agent for another candidate. Yes we would seek to take action but not necessarily start legal proceedings, but what we wish to know is a) is this a civil or a criminal matter b) is it in your view a definite breach of the act c) what powers a Returning officer might have.

Ok thank you please bear with me while I prepare a response.