Law Educator, Esq., UK Law Answer Team
Experience:  UK Law Expert
10285032

Purchased some skin care products yesterday and have had a

Customer Question

Purchased some skin care products yesterday and have had a reaction to the eye cream - itchy watery eyes - so hve not used the other products. Went back to the store to explain the situation and to return the unused products but was told that they couldn't do it and that I had to email the customer service address on the website. The receipt says there will be no returns but this was not pointed out to me and I have never had a reaction to anything before so never asked the question. I have emailed the address but it has pinged back as unrecognisable. I spoke to my credit card company thinking I may have some protection as the product was over £100 but they said if the company's T&Cs are that they do not do refunds there is little they can do. The transaction was still pending and I had to wait until it went through and try again but the issue with the T&Cs still stands which surprises me. I will not use the other products in case I react to them too so not sure what to do now. The store was on the Kings Road in London and I am now back at home in Northampton.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, under the law, if there is no contract with the customer then the customer is entitled to a refund, but if the company has a contractual agreement via their terms and conditions stating they have a no refund policy, then that is actually binding and the next step you would have to take is to seek to sue the company based on their product being defective and causing you the physical symptoms. So your claim for refund would have to be based on the product not doing what it says it would do and causing you to have the eye irritation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havecreadcon a government website In the UK that it's illegal to state you have a no return or refund policy.
Thank you for your reply.
It is not illegal to state that if you place it in writing in terms and conditions given to the customer, but that does not mean that (and I said this above) if the product is defective they do not have to give a refund. This is why I said that in order for you to be entitled to a refund you have to prove the product is defective.