Maverick
Maverick, Advocate
Experience:  20 years proefessional experience
16823287

What is the difference between black letter law and

Customer Question

Customer: what is the difference between black letter law and regulation?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am currently working on my coursework on Corporate Governance in UK and US, and the question is whether CG in developed economies is an appropriate mixture of black letter law and regulation? and Have recent events in the global financial markets affected the CG?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $45) to post your type of question to UK Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

The phrase "black letter law" refers to a well-established and generally accepted legal principles which are no longer subject to reasonable dispute. These basic common principles may then be codified into statutes or regulations. It is different from legal theories or unsettled legal issues. It is the law as accepted by a majority of the judges in a particular jurisdiction.

Regulations are different. Statutory instruments are a form of legislation which allow the provisions of an Act of Parliament to be subsequently brought into force or altered without Parliament having to pass a new Act. They are also referred to as secondary legislation. Acts of Parliament confer powers on Ministers to make more detailed orders, rules or regulations by means of statutory instruments. An Act will often contain a broad framework and statutory instruments/regulations are used to provide the necessary detail that would be too complex to include in the Act itself.

It is often the case that regulations are based on black letter law.

A. Question is whether CG in developed economies is an appropriate mixture of black letter law and regulation?

It is most definitely the case that it is a mixture. Whether the mixture is an appropriate one is anybody's guess.

B. and Have recent events in the global financial markets affected the CG?

Yes, you can read much about that here.