Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am charged with fraud act will I be sentenced
, I use

Customer Question

Customer: I am charged with fraud act will I be sentenced
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I use to place charity box and people used to put their mon ey in the box and take a packet of sweet... But I never gave the money to charity so I was called in police station and they said until we do further investigation they charged with me with Fraud Act
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $45) to post your type of question to UK Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: well thats too much fee
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request)
Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Are you asking what sentence you wil face?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how much mitigation is there in my circumstance as I have a caring responsibility towards a child
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

What is the sum in question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not known yet but in the figure of £13,000
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

That is not good news I'm afraid.

Did you give any of it to charity?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
What is worst case?
I also have disabled child who needs extra care
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

£13k involving a confidence trick like this is serious I'm afraid.

The court would probably say it is the highest bracket culpability and category four in terms of the amount.

I'm afraid the starting point even on a first offence is 18 months custody and the range is 26 weeks to three years although that is a much higher amount.

If the court decides the correct sentence is under 12 months then it would have to consider suspending any sentence and there isn't really a reason to not suspend it here.

You might be lucky and get a community order but you can't rely on that obviously.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What about the fact that my child has severely disability and is on a breathing machine and I am his carer and he needs me?
I don't mind community service but don't want to go prison?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

I'm afraid that is not a consideration for sentencing.