Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

, \I have got saome question Can a facebook chat be an

Customer Question

Customer: hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: \I have got saome question Can a facebook chat be an evidence in court?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $45) to post your type of question to UK Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: but how to pay?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What type of court please and what type of claim?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now there is nothing happeningwhat if one guy will accouse me of sotmething i have newve done. I have a facebook chat. can that be an evidence in court? what if he will delete the chat...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that chat can confirm that I have not done something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anybody?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, it depends.

On the face of it, that isn't evidence of anything.

Facebook entries can be evidence. If it is deleted then the evidence is lost unless, of course, there is a screen saving.

But it does need to be relevant evidence. Facebook entries that to contain anything probative are quite commonly used.

To be wholly honest though, offences on Facebook solely tend not to be prosecuted basically because it isnt the best use of public money to investigate comments on Facebook. Entries on Facebook that evidence a more serious offence can be used though.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have all conversation and print screen...but what if this guy will say that it is not his entiries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i defend myslef showing this print screen?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What are you going to use this for? This doesn't evidence anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no ok.fhank you for help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.