Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Car parking - NGCP - Hassall solicitors.
, Kasare,

Customer Question

Customer: Car parking - NGCP - Wright Hassall solicitors.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi Kasare,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $45) to post your type of question to UK Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have had various demands from NGCP over the past year for overstaying in a retail park. I am aware of the recent judgement in the Supreme Court (the Beavis case) but have had recent demands from Wright Hassall for payments of nearly £200 in each case (the original demand was for £60 and then up to £100 as I didn't settle in a specific period. Obviously they are now bumping up the costs. I can wait a bit and didn't realise I'd be getting a response straight away. I'm short of time my end so might be better to wait until after Xmas?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Hi

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jo,
Thanks for your prompt reply. If it's OK with you I'd rather wait until after Xmas as I will need to give you rather more comprehensive information before expecting you to reply. Basically, however, I have accumulated a number of parking notices from a company called New Generation Parking Company (NGPC) for exceding a one and a half hour stay at a retail park in Cardiff. Like many others I ignored these demands because they were unenforceable at the time. The initial "fine" was £60 but bumped up to £85 if settled within a certain period. When I didn't settle in due course matters were put in the hands of their solicitors. It is now their solicitors, Wright Hassall (no, not a joke) hands and they are now seeking £190 as settlement. The judgement they are relying on is https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.html Parking Eye v Beavis heard in the Supreme Court recently for which judgement is in the preceding link. There are many links and forums covering matters on the internet but clearly the result in the Beavis case was not good news for people like myself. Figures might be different but in essence the case is very similar. Basically, what I'd like to do now is to put this matter to bed once and for all by coming to an out of court settlement, if that's what you advise. I think their oncosts are unreasonable in that they knew as well as everybody else that so much was riding on the Beavis case but I sense that they were bumping of costs unnecessary before determination of that case. I think paying then the fine incurred (not the £60 but the £85) would be reasonable for each violation (remember that there had been no determination before the Supreme Court judgement. Prior to that there was no precedent and these parking companies in effect were just "trying it on". I will be off line now for several days but I thought that I'd get this out to you asap for your consideration. Thanks very much and wishing you compliments of the season.
Gerald ***** (real name) and not Tom
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry the link to the Beavis case didn't work but the judgement date was the 4th November 2015, the case ID was UKSC 2015/0116 and the neutral citation number was UKSC 67. The link to the press summary is below:-https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2013-0280-press-summary.pdf
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
THe whole judgement is herehttps://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2013-0280-judgment.pdf
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

I am aware of the case. What is your question about this ?