Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

This morning I got charged with deceiving identity.

Customer Question

This morning I got charged for fraud with deceiving identity. Basically I had an ebay account on a random name and address and sold items I didnt have and received around £12,500.
This was done 6 months ago however I was let out on bail today after questioning and saying no comment to all questions. What should I do? Should I admit it and what will happen if I do? I really dont want this to go to court.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

There is no way of avoiding it going to court I'm afraid. You are charged and so you are going to court at this stage.

Had you admitted it in interview there was an outside chance of a caution but probably not for £12,500 I'm afraid.

Whether you should admit it or not depends on the strength of the evidence. If it is admissible and compelling then you would have to plead guilty. If not then you should probably be fighting it in the sense that you can put them to proof rather than deny anything that is true.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I didnt get charged, I got arrested for suspision of fraud. In the interview I didnt admit anything but they do have my address linked to the ebay account and my bank details. What do you think I should do? I go back to the police station on April 18th.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, if I pleas guilty what punishment am I looking at? Im 19 and this is my first ever offence
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

If you can't deny it then the right thing to do would be to answer no comment to questions.

In terms of punishment, it is a big amount but this is a first offence which is helpful. It probably does cross the custodial threshold but you won't get custody. It is going to be a high level community order though.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay so do you think I should just admit to it now rather than wait for april? Also what kind of examples can you say include in a high level community order?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

No, don't admit it until the evidence is assessed. There is never any point in doing that.