How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with a battery charge, I never admitted

Customer Question

Hi I have been charged with a battery charge, I never admitted to the police in the interview, what happened was I was at my ex partner house and in the bathroom, she opened the door whilst I was naked and started to take pictures of me which got me annoyed, there is no cctv evidence and she is allegedly said I hit her wrist and this happened in front of our 4 year old daughter.what sentence would I get, I don't want to drag my ex through the courts, I can't afford solicitors will the duty solicitors see me in magistrates court
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today but I need some further information please. What exactly is the nature of the injury? Has anything like this happened before? Do you have a criminal record?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No injuries and no criminal record, nothing happened like this before.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks. If you plead guilty at the first hearing you will receive a discount on your sentence plus the Magistrates will take into account your previous good character, lack of injury and lack of previous domestic violence. Applying the Magistrates Court Guidelines they could impose a fine or in the worst case scenario a low level community order (such as unpaid work / supervision). This is not serious enough for a prison sentence so that should be far from your mind. Additionally you will have to pay costs and a victim surcharge which together will be about £200. There is no need for a solicitor - but you can get some free help from the duty solicitor if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the case be dismissed as there is no evidence of this event on taking place.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

I assume your ex-partner has made a statement about the incident - so that would be enough for a charge. If the matter went to trial it would be one persons word against the other - the Court will dismiss the charge if they decide there is no evidence or they can't be sure if anything happened,