Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have been charged with a battery charge, I never admitted

Customer Question

Hi I have been charged with a battery charge, I never admitted to the police in the interview, what happened was I was at my ex partner house and in the bathroom, she opened the door whilst I was naked and started to take pictures of me which got me annoyed, there is no cctv evidence and she is allegedly said I hit her wrist and this happened in front of our 4 year old daughter.what sentence would I get, I don't want to drag my ex through the courts, I can't afford solicitors will the duty solicitors see me in magistrates court
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today but I need some further information please. What exactly is the nature of the injury? Has anything like this happened before? Do you have a criminal record?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No injuries and no criminal record, nothing happened like this before.
Expert:  Alice H replied 12 months ago.

OK thanks. If you plead guilty at the first hearing you will receive a discount on your sentence plus the Magistrates will take into account your previous good character, lack of injury and lack of previous domestic violence. Applying the Magistrates Court Guidelines they could impose a fine or in the worst case scenario a low level community order (such as unpaid work / supervision). This is not serious enough for a prison sentence so that should be far from your mind. Additionally you will have to pay costs and a victim surcharge which together will be about £200. There is no need for a solicitor - but you can get some free help from the duty solicitor if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Could the case be dismissed as there is no evidence of this event on taking place.
Expert:  Alice H replied 12 months ago.

I assume your ex-partner has made a statement about the incident - so that would be enough for a charge. If the matter went to trial it would be one persons word against the other - the Court will dismiss the charge if they decide there is no evidence or they can't be sure if anything happened,